The best kittens, technology, and video games blog in the world.

Monday, May 28, 2007

RPM package for RLisp

let-me-out! by estherase from flickr (CC-NC-SA)
In addition to tarballs, zips, and DEB packages, now you can download RLisp as RPM. I have no RPM-based box, so I have no idea if it works or not, I simply tried to follow OpenSUSE conventions with some help from darix from #opensuse-ruby.

Working with dpkg and rpm felt like it's 1990s. They make it clear that they consider tarballs the right way to distribute software, and aren't too supportive of automatically packaging nightly builds. Nothing a few lines in the Rakefile wouldn't fix.

If you use OpenSUSE or any other RPM-based distribution, please check out the RPMs and tell me if they worked or not. The likelihood of something being wrong is pretty high, as usually with untested stuff. Certainly wrong are dependencies and build dependencies, which are simply missing for both deb and rpm. I'd waiting for patches :-)

No comments: